Input Field Characteristics
Input Fields that Extend Multiple Lines
The Extended Input Field configuration value
allows you to choose how Webulator/400 will present input fields that
extend multiple lines. An example is the extended command entry prompt that appears
on some AS/400 screens. It often starts at line 18 column 7 and ends at line 21
You can choose to have these fields shown as either
Scrollable Input Fields or
Scrollable Input Fields
Scrollable input fields are fields that have a height of 1 row and a width
equal to the starting position on the screen to the edge of the screen. It allows
the viewable value to be scrolled either left or right as necessary.
The advantages of scrollable input fields include:
- Allows long entries without unnecessary CR/LFs.
- Browser limits the amount of text that can be typed.
The disadvantages of scrollable input fields include:
- Single line entry looks different than native AS/400 screen.
- May not allow entire entry to be viewed without manual scrolling.
Text Areas are fields that have a width and height that closely resemble
the dimensions of the corresponding AS/400 input field.
The advantages of text areas include:
- More closely resembles the native AS/400 screen.
- Allows entire entry to be viewed.
The disadvantages of text areas include:
- Does not automatically word wrap. Requires CR/LFs to get desired effect.
- Browsers do not limit the amount of text that can be typed.