How It All Fits Together
The Steps to Take to Become an Internet Merchant
Merchant/400 can also be used with the Net.Commerce for AS/400
product (5798-NC2) from IBM to process credit card transactions. This interface provides
both mall/store functionality and credit card processing without the need for extensive
- Get set up with a bank - you must have a savings or checking account.
- Contact a Credit Card Processor. Receive a Merchant
Identification number and a virtual terminal ID to process transactions electronically.
- Sign up with Credit Card Network,
DataCash, or another transaction
processing company. Register a
Merchant ID, username and password for access. They
will also need to know the virtual terminal ID assigned by
your card processor.
- If necessary, register with Holonet IAT to pass
transactions to the appropriate transaction processing company. This may also
involve a specialized configuration for sequencing or other circumstances.
- Program your application to use the Merchant/400 API.
You may wish to use the I/NET store sample application as
a beginning to your own store application.
- Set up, connect and configure the connection to your Internet Service Provider
(ISP) to communicate over the Internet. This may already have been completed to
run Web Server/400 or Commerce Server/400.
- Call the Merchant/400 API to test and run the authorization routines through the
entire system path.